Brett Schroeder’s story about giving up his life in the advertising business to live “minimally” in Costa Rica for the past 10 years is surprisingly tempting, even for me, and I’m a city kinda guy. To make a new life for himself, he had to improvise, which included starting a business and hustling for odd […]
ExpatriatesRSS feed for this section
The ultimate voluntary destruction of my comfort zone would be for me to move permanently to another country. Not knowing the language or the local customs and not having any friends or family to rely on, I’d be a stranger in a strange land. Today I’m the same old me drifting around my neighborhood, knowing […]
I found a series of three interesting articles by journalist and author David Ferrell, focusing on travel and its transformative effects. The first examines the concept of midlife gap years — “self-authorized career breaks [to] reap the restorative benefits of time off.” And not just time off loafing around the neighborhood, but extended personal sabbaticals in […]
About The Author
I’m Rick Barlow, and I’ve created The Rest of Your Life because I am drawn to stories of personal change and reinvention. They fascinate me. So I’ve decided to make a place where I can collect, explore and share these stories, and provide information to people interested in creating change in their own lives.
- Expatriate Living: The Total Life Transplant May 4, 2013
- How to Fail as an Entrepreneur March 25, 2013
- Benefactors: Living to Serve July 3, 2011
- Imagine You Renewed April 27, 2014
- What and Why? July 21, 2013
- Midlife Makeover: The Writer Is In July 20, 2013
- Rick Barlow: Hi Leliu, You sound like you've figured out how ...
- Leliu: Hi Rick, I like the information here. I am an ad...
- Rick Barlow: Sounds exciting, all that reinventing. Glad you li...